Alphataraxia Management is a fast-growing quantitative investment management group with offices in both Washington, D.C. and Newport Beach, CA. We specialize in wholesale electricity markets, where extreme volatility is the norm – and the marketplace is constantly evolving, presenting new opportunities for growth and insight. We are currently one of the top participants in the power markets and are looking for hard-working candidates with a genuine enthusiasm for solving complex problems to join our collaborative and high-caliber team.
We are hiring an Investment Analyst / Power Market Analyst to join our team in Newport Beach, CA. You will work as part of a tight knit group to understand the fundamentals behind what drives value in our focus electricity markets (ERCOT, MISO, PJM, SPP, CAISO, ISO-NE, NYISO).
In this role, you will be responsible for driving analysis, developing strategies for transacting in the power markets, and using established firm IP and data resources to pursue investment transactions across various timescales (daily or monthly and annual auctions). Holding aside above-market compensation, our greatest advantage is that we offer dramatically higher rates-of-learning than are found in more traditional finance shops, as analysts will be given a high level of responsibility and freedom from the start. Applicants should be comfortable with approaching new territory and diving deep quickly.
If you like solving puzzles and drawing connections between many moving pieces and timelines, this role will be an exciting opportunity for you to use those skill sets to rapidly identify and transact on high potential trading opportunities. Sharp attention to detail and memory is a highly valuable attribute. While a coding background is not required, applicants who are comfortable with numbers, rigorous analysis and the basics of programming will thrive in our information-rich environment.
- An interest to learn about energy and electricity markets — though no prior power market experience is required
- An ability to grapple with quantitative concepts and systems, as this role interfaces with largely technical and quantitative peers
- Comfort working both individually as well as collaboratively, at times in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Either a strong academic record with highly quantitative classes for recent graduates or quantitative job experience
- Excellent communication skills and team focused mentality
- Ability and desire to navigate and understand complex sets of data (Python, PHP, SQL experience is a plus, but not required)
Responsibilities in this role include
- Gaining a deep fundamental understanding of congestion pricing and what drives real-time price formation (load, outages, transmission, etc.)
- Using our proprietary systems to trade speculative short and long-term wholesale power contracts in the day-ahead Virtual Energy space, and FTR (Financial Transmission Rights) and CRR (Congestion Revenue Rights) space
- Managing and hedging out risk in our existing portfolios
- Developing trading strategies that further expand on our competitive advantage
- Quantitative analysis of power market fundamentals and grid topology to determine investment opportunities and priorities for systems development
- Note: if you are more inclined toward the the systems and data build side of this role, see our Data Analyst / Engineer position
A little more about us
- We play with vast amounts of data and turn our findings into actionable trading decisions.
- We try to explain how things work both fundamentally and quantitatively.
- We build all our own proprietary tools, enabling us to prototype, iterate quickly, and pivot when necessary.
- We automate as many redundant processes as possible to maximize time spent on analysis.
- We have a team-first mindset, and focus on developing our team members.
- We believe strongly in the value of maintaining a variety of perspectives and experiences within our team.
- We move quickly with minimal bureaucracy and a high level of ownership.
- We work in a collaborative, casual environment, yet also expect high throughput from each member of our team.
- We pride ourselves on our openness, transparency, and horizontal structure--across the firm, we all work closely together to tackle difficult problems.
We strive to offer best-in-class compensation and benefits alongside an unrivaled work-life balance.
- $100,000 - $130,000 annual salary, commensurate with experience
- Annual discretionary bonus
- 19 paid vacation days + 7 paid federal holidays
- Casual environment (informal attire)
- 401k matching
- Excellent health, dental, and vision insurance (including HSA option)
- Annual firmwide weeklong summit
- Snacks and unlimited coffee in the office
- Gym / fitness benefit options
- Firm sponsored social events including happy hours, lunches, book club, and more!
- Flexible remote work during months of December and July
We want to find the right people for the right seats. If you could see yourself excelling in this position, we encourage you to apply. To get a jump start and impress us early, we recommend you submit a cover letter detailing why you are interested in this role. If you are a recent university graduate (within the past 3 years), please also submit any undergraduate and graduate transcripts. Please email careers [@] alphataraxia.com with any additional materials or questions.